The symposium will be held in Glendinning Lecture Theatre in D Block (Room 2D67), and the adjoining foyer, on UWE’s Frenchay Campus, which is situated about 4 miles north of Bristol city centre. The nearest rail stations are Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Parkway. There are good bus connections and cycle routes between the city centre and Frenchay Campus. Location details and travel information can be found here.
A limited number of rooms are available to rent in the student halls of residence on the UWE Frenchay Campus, at a cost of £45 per night. Bookings can be made through the UWE online store:
- to book two nights on the 5th and 6th of September, click here
- to book the night of the 5th only, click here
- to book for the night of the 6th only, click here
This type of accommodation is in flats of 6 ensuite bedrooms sharing a kitchen/lounge with kettle, microwave and standard cooking facilities provided. A basic selection of teas and coffees will be present on arrival.
Only a limited number of rooms are available, so please book as soon as possible if you would like to take up this option.
There is also Holiday Inn close to the Campus.
The Frenchay campus is 5km away from the city centre, if you prefer to stay in a more central location in Bristol, you can find hotel information here.
Conference discount for the train tickets
The symposium is eligible for the Conference Fares discount of the Bristol railway line operator GWR. Please follow the instructions in this link to use this discount.
Note that you will need a proof of eligibility alongside your train tickets. That has been double checked with the company and it would be:
A. If you have already registered, make sure you print:
1. The registration receipt and
2. The programme of the symposium showing the dates of the Symposium, or the front registration page (or any document showing the dates, as they were not still included in the receipt’s description of the item).
B. If you registered today or afterwards, the date should be shown in the registration receipt, so you can just print that page.
For bicycle parking in UWE campus, please check this link.
A variety of information sources on cycling in Bristol can be found on the Better by Bike website.
There are number of bike hire options in Bristol. This includes the YoBike dock-less bike share scheme, which offers the cheapest way of travelling between the city centre and Frenchay Campus, (£1 per hour). However, please note that the Campus is on a hill and the bikes only have 3 gears!
If you would like to rent a bicycle (with proper gears!) from a bike shop, an example of the cost is £15 per day, or £25 for two days – see, for example, Jake’s Bikes. If you wish to rent a bike from Jake for Thursday/Friday, he is happy for you to collect your bike on the Wednesday evening for the same price.
On Thursday morning a guided ‘bike train’ will set off at 8.45am from Bristol Parkway rail station to the UWE campus. Please join us if you will be bringing your bike by rail and would like to cycle from Parkway to the symposium with other delegates. The ride will be led by James Morvan – look out for him by the bike racks in front of the station.
Other transport in Bristol
If you book accommodation in the city centre, note that there is M3 bus rapid service that connects with Frenchay Campus, check timetables here.
FOOD, DRINK AND SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
- Pre-conference drinks: For those arriving on Wednesday, there will be a chance to meet up with fellow symposium attendees at The Horts Pub and Dining from 7pm.
- Lunch on Thursday and Friday will be provided on Campus as part of the registration fee.
- There will be a social event on Thursday, starting in the early evening after the conference, at Feed Bristol – a lovely venue just down the road from UWE. You will need to pay for food on the night (at £12 per head), and there will be a cash bar.If you would like to join us at Feed Bristol, we need to know at the time you register for the symposium. Please also let us know if your plans change after registration, to ensure we order the right amount of food!